Monday, January 15, 2007

Happy MLK Day!

Sadly, that is not a celebrated holiday in Hungary...so I hope all of you enjoy your day off!

Random thoughts from this weekend:
  • I will never understand Hungarian customer service -- as in, for example, the ridiculous amount of time I spent this weekend trying to flag down waitstaff. It was actually kind of funny for the first 30 minutes or so...
  • Went to see Step Up this weekend and noticed that Heather and I were the only ones to laugh in a few places. Apparently several jokes are lost in translation, making it immediately obvious to everyone which audience members were American.
  • first basketball game in our new gym! Our boys played pretty well but couldn't quite get the win. It was a lot of fun to watch a little b-ball. not as much fun to find that my boys in Carolina blue lost this weekend. I KNEW I would jinx them -- I'm like the SI cover curse!
  • tried to make beef stew this weekend and encountered some unusual vegetables...anyone know of a vegetable that tastes like celery? I've never seen anything like it.
  • It is so frustrating to know exactly what I should say in Hungarian, work up the courage to say it, and apparently mispronounce it so badly that it cannot be understood. I almost want to give up and just point all the time. or carry around a giant signboard....wouldn't that be cute?
  • however, at church I got so excited -- because I actually read something! usually the Hungarian and English versions are posted during worship, but this is a Hungarian song. I figured out that it was the Bible verse about no eye has seen, etc. I was so incredibly proud. so back to studying this insanely difficult language.... which I can (sort of) read but not speak! sigh.

all right -- time for Bible study with my 11th grade girls! We're reading Experiencing God -- which I also read in 11th grade. Talk about a blast from the past... Have a great day.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

2 Comments:

At 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i thought about you watching the game...and being a jinx...but i didn't want you to carry that weight....they just played crappy, so totally not your fault:)

By the way more important than MLK it's WMB's day tomorrow:)

 
At 6:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read that book as well in 11th grade.....it was while reading that book and doing the work I realized Brandon should not be shunned but enlightened to my beleifs....I have a friend in deep doubt about Christ. I bought him a book but keep him in your prayers....I will email you the name personally. Some people may know him from sehs. di

 

Post a Comment

<< Home