Wednesday, December 06, 2006

chestnuts roasting on an open fire...

I've always wondered what they tasted like...and now I know! They were being sold at the market last night - and yes, it was in fact an open fire :) They are pretty yummy, I have to say, although I think I prefer the giant kolbasz sausage I got instead...

Anyway, the Christmas market is one of those things that makes me love Budapest. Seriously. It was so beautiful with everything lit up, and everyone was incredibly friendly. Everyone I bought something from spoke English and was sincerely pleasant, which is something you don't often find. One of them found out I was from NC, so he said, "Oh, my sister went to school there. Are you familiar with Chapel Hill?" Why yes, I am! :)

Sadly, I do not have a picture of my favorite moment; it required a little too much dexterity to put down the chestnuts and mulled wine in time to grab my camera! but it involved this cute little Hungarian boy in a Santa hat. He found the nativity scene next to the giant Christmas tree, and they've attached a little bell at the top. He grabbed the cord and started ringing the bell with all his might! It was adorable.

although perhaps not as adorable for the vendors next to it who have to listen to the bell all day!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

1 Comments:

At 6:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am going to my firstEnglish dept function without you. They always invite me...so sweet...but since I get out at 5:45 I never make it....must run...love you....and thanks for the email....What site do you go to for daily devotions? I know you have one, I tried it and then lost the address....I need to bookmark it.
di

 

Post a Comment

<< Home