Thursday, February 07, 2008

weird realization

Even though I'm overseas, I've been following politics fairly closely. I've read news coverage from a variety of national and international sources; I've watched the delegate counts; I've waded through blog posts and updates galore.

And yet -- it didn't hit me until about twenty minutes ago how isolated I am from the US. I feel relatively connected most of the time. I can email, call, and even text message across the ocean. I can download movies, music, and tv shows. Thanks to the magic of the internet, last night I watched a basketball game in real time while I talked to my family. But politics is another story altogether. Today I clicked on a video of Obama at a rally, and was surprised that his voice sounded different. Then I realized I had never heard his voice. at all. I've not seen one political ad; I've never watched any campaign videos. If I wanted to, I could completely separate myself from what was going on politically back home. Weird.

I've decided this is a good thing, if only for the obvious benefit of no vote-for-me commercials or signboards. It's nice to know that I'm in control of exactly how much I want to be exposed to -- but it's mind-boggling all the same.

Oh, and about that game -- don't get too cocky, dook fans. March 8, with Lawson healthy -- we'll get that win back.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

1 Comments:

At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what a realisation! I don't know the voice of the presidential candidates (Hilary aside).

And, yes today was a somber one for us Tarheels, but there's hope come March 8!

Heidi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home