Tuesday, July 17, 2007

not a good morning.

So at some point Sunday I came down with a miserable cold that completely robbed me of the ability to talk. I skipped Hungarian class yesterday and just slept all day (although like a good student I called and got my homework assignment! I practice what I preach!).

I still can't talk today, but I don't feel feverish or anything, so I decided to at least go and listen. I got up, got dressed, and went outside -- only to have my cheap copy of the key get stuck in the door.

It's not the first time this has happened. I believe it's the fourth. However, it is the first time this has happened when the other people who live here are not in the apartment. or even in Hungary.

So there I sat on the doorstep, coughing and sweltering in the ridiculous heat, which is supposed to reach over 100 today and already feels like it. I tried to remove that stupid key for at least 20 minutes. No dice.

I pulled out my phone to call someone, when I suddenly realized a) almost all of my friends aren't currently in the country b) I can't speak anyway!

I debated asking the neighbor for help, but I realized a) I have no clue how to say that b) I can't speak anyway! I decided standing on his doorstep at 8 in the morning coughing and whispering in a language I don't speak or understand wasn't exactly the best way to build relationships.

Fortunately, about that time, he came out for his morning smoke. Thank God for Sandor. and while I'm usually not a fan of smoking, I was pretty darn pleased that he chose to endanger his health today. He tried the same jiggling/ yanking combination that had failed me, and then he went for the tools. Yes, my neighbor broke into my apartment!

It was an interesting process, especially since it drew a couple of little old ladies who wanted to watch the fun. And all I could do was croak "I'm sorry! Thank you very much!"

So I'm taking this as a sign not to go to class again today, but to stay home and sleep instead!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

1 Comments:

At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you should get a new key!

Sorry you're still under the weather - hope you're feeling better by now!!

:)
Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home