Sunday, June 24, 2007

nagyon meleg, part two

Despite multiple quantities of ice cream (and I scored a free scoop at Gerbaud!), it's still ridiculously hot. This probably didn't help my little excursion yesterday. so we're getting ready to go to Vienna by train in the morning ($40 for two way train tickets and all of our public transportation in Vienna!), and I go to our local train station to pick up tickets. The not-so-nice lady tells me the international ticket seller is sick, so I must go to Keleti. That's a long ways away! On the tram into the city I got kicked off by a ticket inspector. I had my ticket -- but I couldn't produce it quickly enough, apparently. so that added a little extra walking to my day.

We decide to break up the trip by checking out a parade across the Chain Bridge and down the river. We caught the tail end of it, so I miraculously managed to wind through backstreets until we saw the beginning. We got to see a lot of traditional dancers from several countries. It was really fun -- pictures coming later!

I decide to leave mom and dad to rest while I head to Keleti to get the tickets. I am so proud of my navigation skills that I attempt to head off with no map --and I did quite well, until I got to the metro station I needed. The line was down. Rather than catch the temporary bus, I decided to walk the rest of the way. I coudn't quite remember how far down it was, but I knew how to get there.

Let's just say I definitely got my exercise.

and I learned never to walk to Keleti Station in near-100 degree heat!

Mom and Dad have done really well. They learned how to say the truly important words: Hello and cukraszda. :) We've decided Dad must have some aura of mail carrier around him, because he's been stopped three times by Hungarians in Diosd looking for directions. Needless to say, Dad hasn't been much help!

My favorite time was yesterday, when we were at the bus stop with this sweet little old lady. I knew enough Hungarian to talk about her family and their ages and where we were all going on the bus. And then a car pulled up and the guy asked Dad for directions. She walked over to the car, talked to them for a minute, and then came back to us. She said, in very animated Hungarian that even mom and dad could figure out, "He wants to go to Belgrade! Belgrade! I say, you go to Budapest. It is there!" and sat down. It made us all laugh.

I should probably get going, since I have a number of things to do tomorrow before I leave for Vienna. Have an excellent day -- and enjoy your air conditioning!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home