Friday, March 06, 2009

recession. sigh.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/03/03/us/20090303_LEONHARDT.html

I thought this was interesting. Note that my hometown of Rocky Mount (Nash, Edgecombe Counties) is categorized with the second-highest levels of unemployment rates in the nation -- and Edgecombe's percentage of increase over the last year puts it in the top level in the nation. Sobering.

For me, the upside, if it can be called that, is that the economy here is much worse. Hungary, Poland, and the Czech Republic have seen the values of their currency drop dramatically. In July, $1 = 141 forint. Today, $1 = 249 forint. That's a massive difference. Filling up my car last year cost nearly $100. This week, I spent less than $50. Amazing. It's like everything's on sale!

I am so grateful that I can literally stretch my dollars a bit, especially since my support has dropped pretty drastically. And yet, I feel such mixed emotions, considering the troubles of my host country.

But I am far more grateful for the people who continue to support me! And it is both a call to prayer and reminder of how important it is be a good steward of our finances. Living on a missionary salary has made me even more aware of the uncertainty of life and the need for utter dependence on the Lord to meet our needs.

In Alpha related news, last night's talk was really frustrating, when we ascertained that most of them didn't believe in the concept of evil. One of them believed that God created Satan so the two of them could compete and God wouldn't be bored. yikes. Some of us are going out to eat Saturday night, so be praying.

I've been in a grouchy mood all day, so I share with you this video. It never fails to make me laugh.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

1 Comments:

At 5:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

3:43 of total musical bliss!!
now if i can just download to my ipod!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home