Thursday, February 05, 2009

student work

We've been reading The Rape of the Lock in Brit Lit, which is a satire mocking ordinary events by describing them melodramatically. I gave my students the assignment to write about something that happened at ICSB in overly dramatic poetry, and I really enjoyed the results. One student wrote about the travesty of how her makeup ran in the rain, and one wrote about how horrible it was that she forgot her lunch. My favorite, though, related specifically to my class.
When I first got here, some of you kindly sent over hand sanitizer. Although you can find it now, it's still pretty rare, so the kids always clamor around my desk using my sanitizer. Right before Christmas, though, it ran out. This is the poem written to commemorate that fateful day.

The sun was shining, the air was cool
on that fine Monday morning I walked into school
I entered our room with a skip and a hop
Then I witnessed a horror that caused me to stop
There on the desk was a pale lifeless form
and inside my chest grew a tormenting storm
I screamed for the others to see this sad sight
This terror that drug the whole world into night
The salt from my tears could have flavored a roast
but then a thought hit me like some ejected toast
forever and ever my extremities dry
Then I looked at my hands and renewed my cry.
A new wave of sorrow like the death of a god
electrified me like a lightning rod
we tired to keep using, like a cow and its cud
But to my dismay it had lost too much blood
I'll remember the day that the Germ-X died
No longer shall my hands be 99.9% purified.

I thought it was clever. :)
(no worries -- we have a new bottle now!)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

2 Comments:

At 4:35 AM, Blogger Kacie said...

Awesome! I love the drama. High schoolers are good at that. :)

 
At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had one of those glory moments myself last night: a shelf in our closet crashed to the floor and sent three boxes of cards and keepsakes scattering across the floor. As I was sorting through the pile, I came across an elaborately embellished acount of the day my AP class had me kidnapped by Grendel(to my great surprise - no, utter shock), rescued by Beowulf (heroically, of course), and gloriousl feasted(by a grinning class who had figured out a great way to have an unsanctioned party)! There were even long forgotten pictures of the event!

The teacher who challenges girls and boys
Finds headaches and heartbreaks well balanced by joys!

:)
Mama

 

Post a Comment

<< Home