Wednesday, December 31, 2008

the mother of all blog posts...

yeah -- it's been a while! I've been pretty busy, and it's much harder to update this blog without having internet at the apartment! so this is going to be pretty long. Save it for when you have some free time. :)

In fact, first visit Karen's blog. She's posted pictures from her trip last year, and it's like a virtual trip to Budapest! She and Kathy were fortunate enough to be here over a holiday weekend, so she has tons of really cool shots of things you don't always see. Go look at them, and come back here to read the rest of this post later!


I'm trying to remember all that's gone on.... Let's start with the Nutcracker! It was pretty amazing... little did I know that we actually had bought box seats! The set was incredible, the dancing was great, and it was all for a pretty cheap price. I love the opera house.

Then, we had the labyrinth, a kick off for the Alpha course. It was held in conjunction with the neighborhood Christmas party, and each station had something there to help people process and meditate on the meaning of Christmas. It came out far better than any of us expected! And hopefully it was meaningful to people as well. I did get thrown for a bit of a loop when we realized that they had no one to play carols at the end of the party....although earlier in the evening we were treated to a performance by the local doctor, who is also a trained concert pianist. That's right -- I had to follow the amazing musician! But it came out ok, I think. Anyway, it was a fun evening.

And in the morning -- very early in the morning!-- Kacie, Scarlett, and I left to Poland. The ride there was incredible. I seriously think it was worth the price just to ride through the snowy countryside. We arrived in Krakow just around lunchtime, so we settled into our apartment and started exploring the Christmas market. Later we visited the Jewish ghetto area and then Auschwitz. Since I teach Night every year (and if you haven't read it, you should!), I've been wanting to visit the camp for a long, long time. It was truly impressive. and sad. We arrived on a cold, cold day, and as we started to walk toward the crematoriums, it started to pour. Let me tell you -- that was a lesson in itself. I was determined not to complain, as I knew I had a warm coat, gloves, a scarf, hat, and shoes, and I had eaten well. It really helped to put things into perspective for me -- and that was only for a very brief time. If you ever get the chance, you should go.

And on a very different note, we went out one night to a Karaoke bar -- and we treated by an odd mixture of classic rock, Christmas songs, polka and or Jewish inspired folk songs, and my personal favorite -- an ode (in Polish) to "King Bruce Lee." I laughed so hard -- and fortunately for you, I found it on youtube! Sadly, this version does not include all the fun sound effects we heard. Just picture loud "hee-yah!" sounds -- with a Polish accent.

I've decided Krakow is one of my favorite cities. The buildings were beautiful, the people were friendly, and the food was amazing. I ate so well on this trip! All in all, a really good trip.


We got back late on Christmas Eve, and then I spent Christmas Day with the Bullock family. They had a couple ofther single girls staying with them -- one of whom was also a teacher from NC, so that was cool -- and a Hungarian woman who was visiting. She was a big fan of green bean casserole! It was really nice to spend Christmas eating, playing games, and watching movies with a family -- although it was nicer to use their Vonage to call home and talk to my real family for Christmas!

I am so grateful to have people around who are willing to invite me into their lives. In fact, I had several other invitations for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day -- it's nice to feel like I'm part of a community. And when our car died recently, I sent out an email to the staff and immediately got offers to jump our car and suggestions as to what may be wrong. Two different men helped me out by taking me to buy a new battery and then installing it for me. It was really wonderful not to have to take the car to a mechanic -- I am so blessed to be surrounded by people who are so gracious and helpful.

It's also been fun to see the alumni coming back. Many former students have come home to be with their families for the holidays, so I've been catching up with them. It's kind of the equivalent to Homecoming back in the States!

and Izabella took me to see some of her Irish friends who play traditional music all over Budapest. It was kind of surreal to be in a Hungarian pub talking to Irish musicians! but they were really talented, and it was lots of fun.

So there you have it -- the extremely condensed version of my life lately! And if you didn't click over to Karen's pictures -- seriously, go!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

3 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, Blogger Twenty Two Photo said...

officially it is still this year that we went on the trip...tomorrow it will be officially next year:)

you're a busy girl...glad you had a nice Christmas!

 
At 10:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog!!

:)
Mom

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Kacie said...

Thanks for posting the picture of me on the ground. :) I tip my hat to you, in the figurative sense, since I'm not wearing one. Anyway... it's late, please excuse the delirium! Happy New Year! When we get back, I'll be expecting a cd of those vunderful pictures. Thanks! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home