Tuesday, November 25, 2008

a winter adventure.

so back home in NC, I never have to drive in snow, because as soon as flakes fall, schools shut down and all driving ceases.

That's why I was a little nervous about driving yesterday -- snow had been falling pretty steadily for a while, and since the sun starts setting at 3:30, the temperature was dropping, too. But several of us were working with a Thanksgiving outreach with Hungarian college students, and we had to get to the first meeting point, and I was the only one with a car, so I faced my fears and drove anyway.

Getting there -- not so bad. I slid a bit a couple of times, but I was ok.

However, we then transferred all our stuff to the Kliewer's van, and Steve drove the rest of the way. I knew we were in trouble when we slid down a hill...and then down another hill...and then crept along the highway in miserable, miserable traffic.

At one point, we saw our director's van also stuck in traffic. Kim rolled down the window, starting waving her arms wildly, and yelled "No School! No School!" :) Alas, it was no avail, as we didn't even get a delay. sigh.

When we realized we were going to be insanely late creeping along in traffic like that, we parked the van and took public instead -- carrying pumpkin pies, jello, cornbread, cookies, and a plastic pumpkin, among other things. Needless to say, we got some interesting looks, and two slightly drunk Hungarian men were really, really confused.

After three hours, a car, a van, two trams, and a metro ride, we met our contact at the dorm -- only to find that we were still a bus ride away. Basically, our assigned dorm was as far from Diosd as humanly possible while still staying in Budapest. So we finally got there over an hour late.

It was actually really good, though. They loved talking to us and asked great questions, and we got to share all about Thanksgiving and the concept of gratitude. They liked Jello and LOVED pumpkin pie! The turnout was high, and so was the interest, and I'm making plans to meet up with one girl, Csilla, to practice her English.

And then came the return journey....

we stood in the snow waiting for a bus for a really long time and then had to retrace our steps back (although we did stop at a McDonald's -- woohoo for the 24 hour drive through!). And then I had to drive back from the Kliewers' house to Diosd after midnight. on snowy roads. with snow still falling.

No one died, and I didn't even really have any problems, except for trying to get the car in the gate to our place. A fear conquered! but I was incredibly grateful to finally, finally get home.

So to sum up, I left the house at 5.30 and returned at 12.30, and all but about an hour and a half of that were traveling. yuck. and then I had to pack! I've never wanted a snow day so badly in my life...

I'm looking forward to a restful trip to Sweden! Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

1 Comments:

At 1:08 PM, Blogger Renata said...

That's a CRAZY adventure! When we lived in Kansas, nothing shut down for the snow either. I was scared to death I would fall while walking from my car into work as I was 8 months pregnant before I had the good sense to quit work!

Happy Thanksgiving!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home