Wednesday, February 18, 2009

winter poetry on a gorgeous day

This morning, we had a delay, so I had to scramble to adapt my lesson plans, since I missed meeting with half of my 10th grade students this morning. I decided to pull out a trust-worthy assignment -- creating Found Poetry. I printed off several poems about snow, and told the kids to "steal" lines and combine/rearrange them into an entirely new poem about snow. It's harder than it sounds, but the kids enjoyed it.

During our staff meeting this afternoon, I got bored and decided to write my own! all stolen from other poems, of course :)

Last night the winter danced back.

Regard the frost and the boughs of pine trees
crusted with snow layer on layer.
They carry the load with aplomb
magical in the peacecfulness.

I will shake a laden branch,
sending a cold shower down on us both.
Marvel for a moment at the ballet before me.



You can see a few pictures of my students playing in the snow at this link
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5849916&l=7c751&id=544125300

*Yes, I realize that I have now made myself sound like a horrible teacher by admitting that I didn't pay attention during a staff meeting AND skipped class to play in the snow! I am not ashamed. :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

3 Comments:

At 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful sight!!! Still wish I could trade places with you for a while. I could skip school too!!!
Love Ya
Auntie Sue

 
At 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

tis such a magnificent sight to behold: kids a playing in the cold. but still the question I depend, where the heck is THE LITTLE RED HEN? UNK KENT

 
At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wouldn't ya know it -
Kent's a poet!

:)
Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home