Saturday, April 26, 2008

Larry

Today I was studying God's goodness, even in the midst of tragedy, when I got a phone call. Kathy called to tell me that Larry had passed away suddenly. Larry is like a member of our family, and I can't remember a time when I didn't know him. As far back as I can remember, the Bains, Proctors, and Hardys have been getting together to cheer on the Tarheels and "unlax" at the lake.
After I got off the phone with my family and cried for a while, I pulled out the notebook where people wrote me letters before I came to Hungary. I remember being touched by what Larry had written, but now it's even more poignant. He talked about our families and the great times we've had, and about watching all of the kids grow up and come to know the Lord, and then he said this: "God never, never, ever leaves us or betrays us. Just trust in Him and know that no challenges are too great for Him."
I'm grateful that God was teaching me in advance of this news -- it could be overwhelming to think of the unfairness that seems to be present in the world or of the grief of his family. But I am so reassured by my absolute certainty that Larry is there now, rejoicing in the presence of the Savior he had learned to trust completely, no matter what. Thank You, Lord, for being trustworthy and for giving us the hope of heaven!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

3 Comments:

At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen. And amen.

Mama

 
At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I passed this along to Donna.

BB

 
At 7:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paula,
Be sure that you are in our prayers during this time.
Blessings,
Ed, Marge and Christine

 

Post a Comment

<< Home