Sunday, September 10, 2006

victory! and a little thing called skype

Today I went to the grocery store by myself.

Now this may not seem like a big deal, since I've been going shopping for several years, but here it entails a bit more. I have to make my way to the bus stop, take the correct bus, exit at the right stop, navigate the mall at Campona, do my grocery shopping in a place where the food labels come in at least 6 different languages (none of which are English), take all the groceries back onto the bus, and walk back to the apartment building and up all four flights of stairs carrying all of the groceries. no small feat, that.

I must have looked like a native, though, because I had four different people try to ask me questions at Tesco. I've finally moved past "I don't understand" and can now say "Sorry, I'm an American. Do you speak English?" None of them did, but at least they understood what I meant! Plus it's nice to think I don't immediately look like the standard obnoxious American tourist.

Awesome to hear from my small group from Westover tonight, even if the skype connection was a little fuzzy. I really do miss you guys; I wish we could have talked more! Please email me with all the updates.

If you want to talk with me for free, you too can download skype! The calls are sometimes a little delayed or echo-y, but hey, it's free. Visit skype.com, download the program for free, and add my contact information. When we're both online, we can talk or chat. All you need is some sort of microphone. I'd love to hear from you.

I think my procrastination is almost done.... sigh. One thing that unfortunately is true on both sides of the ocean is that sub plans are more work than just teaching it yourself. I'd almost rather be here tomorrow. But then, when would I get to visit Bratislava, Slovakia again? :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home