Tuesday, September 05, 2006

I Love Conversational English!

I had the best time last night. What a cool experience!

I learned that it's actually a club for people trying to figure out English. It's run by Hungarians about my age who are active in the church I've been going to! They have an hour or so of lessons followed by a time of praise music and a brief speaker.

Now despite technically being a missionary, I am definitely NOT a share my testimony kind of girl. I've always hated the idea of standing on a street corner and passing out tracts. I just thought it was annoying. What a surprise, then, to find that these people were actually curious. People stayed to hear my testimony-- which, by the way, I was not expecting to give! I spoke with a translator, which was really interesting. It was probably good, because the pauses while he translated gave me time to figure out what in the world I would say next!

I really enjoyed working with the people, too. I had 5 in my class, from about 30 years old to probably 65. They sincerely wanted to learn and had little notebooks to write down new words. And they were so excited when they said something correctly. Teachers know -- there is nothing like enthusiastic, dedicated students!

I am trying to decide if I want to commit to this, though, because it is all the way across town. literally. I left the school here at 3:45 and returned at 9:00. That's a long, long time for every Monday. However, the leader was really sweet and told me I was "most warmly invited to return!" and one of my students said, "You will return? You will be our teacher?" That's hard to turn down...

and the really big news! Yesterday I was so frustrated about the apartment situation. In the middle of me crying over the phone to my mom, Ildiko (one of our Hungarian secretaries), came into the room and handed me a note. She had called the landlord and explained that I would need to move. My wonderful landlord is no fool -- he (she? I don't know!) quickly realized that would mean no money at all, so he cut my rent! I'm still paying more than I expected to, but I am within my budget now, and I don't have to move! I now have a two-bedroom apartment in a relatively new building for less than a one bedroom in an older, cheaper part of town. Yes! I was downright giddy.

So later on when I complain about four flights of stairs, doors that stick, and cabinets that won't stay closed, remind me how happy I am to be there!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

1 Comments:

At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really must ask, what do you do for supper on Monday nights?

Mom :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home