Sunday, August 27, 2006

worship in a second language

Today I tried a church that is about 80% Hungarian, with English translations, and it was pretty fun. They do a lot of praise songs in both Hungarian and English, so I think it's a great way to pick up some new words. For instance, I can now say holy, Lord, and Jesus. How this will help in everyday conversation, I'm not sure -- but I'm pretty proud.
Someone told me that being here makes you understand the life of the illiterate. This is completely true. I find myself relying on pictures almost exclusively, and for the first time I'm looking at the little symbols on the tags of my clothes! It really is frustrating. Tonight a neighbor opened the door for me. I must have pronounced thank you pretty well (yes!) because he assumed I spoke Hungarian and tried to have some sort of conversation. I felt so stupid, because all I could say was nem ertem -- I don't understand! (I suppose I could have thrown in a holy Lord Jesus, but that might have been a little odd...)

I've found a new addiction, and strangely it's not Hungarian but Chinese. There's a huge Chinese population here, and roughly 1/4 of the school is either Chinese or Korean. Today after church, some veteran teachers took us to a Chinese restaurant owned by one of my student's parents. It was pretty great, and they gave us quite a discount, but the real treat was when they brought out some dessert for us. Now, aside from banana pudding, I usually dislike all things banana. However, I learned today that having a banana inside some sort of sweet fried dough is basically heaven on earth. She gets extra credit!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home