Saturday, August 26, 2006

Jesus, cows, and Kiefer Sutherland

Jesus barked at me this weekend. No, not the Messiah -- the dog. There's some sort of German shepherd mix who has adopted the road from my apartment to the school. The students have nicknamed him Jesus, because he's always there (I know -- painfully cheesy). So far Jesus and I have been on good terms, but I must have startled him a bit. Once he recognized me, though, all was well. It's good to have a watchdog on the street.

Last night we indulged in that most Hungarian of pastimes -- the mall and a movie. I was surprised to find that mall was pretty American, including the food court. However, when I ordered my slice of pizza, I was informed it was not pepperoni, but salami! It's everywhere!
Also at the mall: apparently Budapest has these cow sculptures everywhere. The one in Campona Mall has a moving Rubik's Cube built into its side, in honor of the fact that it was invented here. Kind of strange to see a giant cow with colored blocks in it in the middle of the mall...

The movies here are only about $5, which is really nice, so we went to see The Sentinel with Kiefer. It was in English with Hungarian subtitles, so I spent far too much time trying to match the words with the subtitles to really pay attention to the movie, but it was pretty good.
It fascinated me that movie tickets are sold by seats here, like at a play. No more trying desperately to find seats together!


I found -- believe it or not -- a peanut butter KitKat! So I think it's time to have a treat. Have an excellent day, my friends.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

1 Comments:

At 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a peanut butter kitkat? that sounds like heaven! why doesn't america have the great candy bars that europe has. you would think with our american fascination for food WE would have the good stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home