Tuesday, August 29, 2006

my new pet

The weather is so nice here that I've gotten into the habit of leaving my doors to the balcony open all the time. This, I found out, may have been a mistake. Apparently, Sunday night I let in a sparrow who couldn't quite find his way back out in the morning. I woke up Monday to the sound of a bird repeatedly slamming himself into the other bedroom's window. It was horrible. I was convinced I was going to have to clean up a dead bird. I debated doing the bread crumb trail, but in the end, I decided to scare it in the direction of the open door. He finally figured it out.
It was a fitting start to my day, which was probably the least happy I've been since I got here. I'm starting to feel the beginning of the year stress, I think. However, I was really excited when I left work yesterday, because I actually had semi-conversations with two Hungarians! Lisa B and I went to buy flowers and fruit, and both of those women are so nice. They spoke very slowly and taught us some new words. It also helped that the florist and Lisa both speak a little German, and the fruit lady and I both speak a little French! So with the combination of four languages, we could talk a little bit. The florist said (in Hungarian) "Good speak Hungarian." Don't know if that translates to You speak Hungarian well or It's good to speak Hungarian. The first is an outright lie, but either way, it was positive. I plan to go again soon and try a few more words. I'm also thinking about taking lessons soon.
Please pray about our teaching needs. The other English teacher was just diagnosed with a very aggressive cancer; she'll need intense treatment in the States, and she won't be returning this year. There are all sorts of unknowns now -- whether her children should stay here or be with her, how we'll cover her classes, etc. Her name is Tina; I'm sure she would appreciate your prayers.
School starts tomorrow for the elem. and MS, so that means I have a week left! I'm off to help Lisa A. set up her 2nd grade classroom. Enjoy your day...

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home