Sunday, September 03, 2006

Sundays

Growing up I never understood how it was possible that Mom and Dad always wanted a nap after church on Sundays. Then I started to do it, too. It was like a weird ritual I couldn't break. Even Hungary is not immune to the Sunday Nap Syndrome, as I just woke up from a 3 hour nap. 3 hours! So there goes my day.

Last night I was treated to a special fireworks presentation. I was doing some reading when I heard them, so I went to my balcony, and sure enough the town next to Diosd was putting on a show. No one seems to know why, but our guess is they had been canceled on St. Istvan's Night and this was the second attempt. I had a perfect view from my 5th (!) floor balcony, and I was surprised at how good they were. I mean, Erd isn't exactly a large city or anything. I really enjoyed the show...
...until I noticed that I was intently looking directly over the top of the apartment building next to me. Those residents have no balcony facing Erd and probably didn't know what was going on. I'm fairly certain that the couple on the fourth floor thought I was watching them! so I think I have a reputation as a peeping Tom... :)
I was part of a horrible American stereotype last night. Some veteran teachers took us to their favorite restaurant in Budapest. It was really good and a very interesting place -- a little nicer than all the others we've been to so far. We were, I'm pretty sure, the only Americans there -- and on the way out Emily took a corner of the tablecloth with her. I tried desperately to catch the glasses as they fell off the table, but alas, it was all in vain. Glass went everywhere. So even when we try not to draw attention to ourselves, we fail miserably. Fortunately, the waitstaff was great and spoke some English. They told us not to worry about it. I secretly think they were just ready to see us go!
School starts this Wednesday!!!!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home