Friday, September 01, 2006

extracurricular activities

Since I arrived, I feel like the only Hungarians I've met are the English-speaking ones at the school. That's such a shame, but with the language barrier it's nearly impossible to remedy. until now!
I think I'm going to start volunteering to teach Conversational English once a week, mostly adults. It'll be a nice break from teaching high school kids, and really shouldn't require much planning, since I'll mostly just talk to them and correct their pronunciation (which is somewhat laughable to my non-Southern friends! I'll have them saying y'all in no time). The best thing, though, is that I'll finally get to interact with Hungarians and be able to communicate some! I'm so excited. The guy who asked me to help was surprised, I think, at how readily I accepted. I am doing it on a trial basis until after school gets going, though -- don't want to bite off more than I can chew!
I'm also co-leading a Bible study for 11th grade girls, which is a cool way to get to know students outside of the classroom. So I'm starting to feel like I have a life other than teaching!

So I've been reading about Hurricane Ernesto by NC right now. I'm convinced this is nothing compared to the gales I've faced this week. I'm going to name it Windstorm Istvan, just for fun. Yesterday, I was wearing heels going up a hill with a very heavy laptop case. Istvan slammed the bag into my legs, and I thought I was going to tumble over right in the middle of the street. I'm terrified to wash clothes, because I have no dryer. Unless I want them to drip all over my floor, I have to put them on the balcony, and I am convinced that I would find my underwear strewn all over Diosd! It's also been about 50 degrees here the last couple of days. I had to pull out my fall clothes. Compare this to just a short while ago when we were at 100 degrees. crazy.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

1 Comments:

At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

50 degrees!!!
I am so jealous.
...do they still need an English teacher? :)
nik

 

Post a Comment

<< Home