Thursday, September 14, 2006

a break-in of sorts

We were all told when we came here that Hungary is a very peaceful place, and we shouldn't fear for our safety. Theft, on the other hand, is extremely common. Basically, if you leave something out, you shouldn't expect to see it again. There have been some cases of missionary homes being robbed as well. I figured being on the top floor kind of eliminated some of the risk of that, but it is a thought in the back of my mind.

Today when I got home, I opened the door and saw that the table in the living room was moved away from the wall. Odd, I thought. I didn't remember moving it this morning. I dismissed it as me being stupid, and went about my way. Then I went into my bedroom, and I definitely hadn't moved my laundry hamper into the middle of the room. I started freaking out.

and then I saw the phone. Yes, that's right. The phone I asked for upon my arrival and had eventually decided not to get was mysteriously left in my apartment today while I was gone. Apparently my landlord finally decided to get on the ball! :) I was relieved. Still, it was odd to know that someone had been in my apartment while I was gone. And I still haven't met him/her! All I know is the name on the mailbox. Weird.

Anyway, I have a pretty nice phone now -- cordless and with caller id! Yes! So feel free to call... :)

Lisa and Emily and I decided to take a walk after work today. Parker had told us about the trails he runs on, so we decided we'd try it. What Parker failed to make clear was that these trails at one point run alongside what is apparently the local dumping ground. It was highly entertaining to see the assortment of couches, computers pieces, clothes, and styrofoam out in the middle of nowhere. We bravely went past it to where the road was clear -- and promptly got confused in the maze of trails. When the sun set and we were still a good 45 minutes away from our apartments I was a little worried that we'd be stuck on the hill in the dark with trash piled up on either side! But fortunately, Lisa has excellent navigational skills, so we made it back just as it was getting dark. It was an adventure.

and we took a little sidetrip to the cukraszda for some ice cream. They have cinnamon ice cream here! Is it wrong that we've all memorized the cost of a cone with two scoops? (240 forint, in case you're wondering, which is approximately $1.15) I love that place.

I do not love test reviews. sigh. back to Beowulf study guides.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home