Tuesday, September 12, 2006

a response to criticism

I was reading my comments this morning, and I felt compelled to respond to the anonymous comment from a European reader, who will probably never read this, but that's beside the point.

I sincerely hope that I didn't come across as overly critical of Europe or Slovakia in particular. On the contrary, I greatly enjoyed my time there (with the exception of my time in Tesco! :) ). Most people who know me are aware that I love Europe and am thrilled to be here. And I agree with some of your criticisms of the United States -- we do tend to be too money-conscious, although I don't think we've entirely sacrificed respect and the bonds of family. Perhaps that, too, is an oversimplification perpetuated by films. Anyway, my intent was not to criticize; I mainly wanted to record my impressions. There is a difference in customer service and perceptions of business here, and I do think it's sad to see subpar buildings next to all the beauty and history also in Bratislava (for the record, I also dislike seeing the problems of urbanization in American cities).

Anyway, I just felt that I might not have been accurate in representing my feelings during my trip. I enjoyed my trip, I like Europe, and I have never seen Hostel. :)

and now it's time for class to start.... have an excellent day!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

3 Comments:

At 4:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Paula, it's Di.

I guess the downside of blogs is people can interpret the tone. I personally felt you were pointing out an obivious eye sore that could be fixed, not insulting the country as a whole. Yes, it may be a beautiful sight to those who are in need of housing post war but combined with the statement about the man with the cookies, I believe it points out an obvious lack of ambition. This has been a product of communism. It can be a product of Americanism, as you so well know from our American students. The problem with the world today is NO ONE, including Americans can take criticism good or bad. This has lead to complacency that is found world wide. America has it's eye sores, they just aren't usually near the Beautiful landscape or buildings.

 
At 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A truly intelligent person sees both the good and the bad in their own country. Because of this, they are able to hear both praises and criticisms without becoming indignant.
That kind of objectivity is the mark of a concerned, caring, and informed human being.
You said nothing wrong.

 
At 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey mrs.hardy,
Guess who this is? your favorite student ever. Ryan W. I can't believe you are gone. Sorry i don't have a myspace but i have seen yours looks good. hows it going over there in budapest. Southeast has gone to hell but senior is great, you better come back for our graduation or we can all come over there so you can see us graduate. So email me back at ryanwski@triad.rr.com if you can but ttly
ryan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home