Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Tuesdays

Being unemployed changes your perspective. I used to dread Mondays. Now, to my surprise, I dread Tuesdays. They seem like the longest day, with the weekend too far off to look forward to -- and let's face it, the weekend is just like every other day anyway.
This is not, by the way, a positive thing, for those of you who are still employed.

So how have I been spending my time, particularly on long, long Tuesdays?

Well, for starters, I've been checking job listings fanatically. There are definitely jobs out there. 85% of them are in the health field, unfortunately. Also big -- fast food managers. Who knew?

Nothing yet, but I'm maintaining hope.

I've also been exploring the online world. Aside from my new addiction to hulu, I've discovered a wealth of fascinating free courses online. So if a new job doesn't pop up soon, I plan to become an expert in music theory, art history, French, and/or Greek.

But mostly, I've just been bored. Where exactly does a single girl in her 30s go to meet people in Rocky Mount? I have no idea how to answer this question, since church is apparently not the answer. I welcome your suggestions!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

7 Comments:

At 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always thought you find people like you would like at places where you like to go. I'm not sure why the apparency of church is apparent.

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Paula said...

Perhaps that's the problem --- let me rephrase the question: where would I like to go?

I found a coffee shop I like. but as I have no job, I can't exactly afford to become a regular.

I seriously don't know where else to go. Free places to go in Nash County, anyone?

 
At 7:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why is church apparently not the answer? Perhaps you need to be still.

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger Geoff Gentry (aka xforce11) said...

hulu is fun. Praying you find work soon.

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger Geoff Gentry (aka xforce11) said...

hulu is fun. Praying you find work soon.

 
At 5:14 AM, Blogger Chris Knight said...

When all else fails... make your own job! :-)

Granted, it's hard work. And no doubt slow going at first. But it's possible. I did pretty well this past summer just doing wedding videography. Gotta thank the Lord for providing the months of May through August ;-)

There are some professional translation services out there that hire people to translate for businesses etc. May want to look into that since you've got a strong background in Hungarian. I've a friend who does that in Portuguese. She even works from home. Just something that crossed my mind while thinking of ya :-)

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Twenty Two Photo said...

You should work on the lake project to give your self occupied during the day:) I can tell you where we left off, which we really haven't done much....

I still recommend going to the Art Center. See what they have to offer as far as things to do around RM. I enjoy going there, b/c it's free:) I enjoy Via Cap too, but that may be the spot you were talking about. Also, even though people make it seem scary, Battle Park actually is a very nice and peaceful place to go. There are a lot of walking trails around there...go explore!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home