Monday, July 13, 2009

culture shock

Things that are weird about being back in America, in no particular order:
*Size. Everything is bigger -- lanes, cars, stores, and people.
*Hearing English everywhere. Americans are LOUD. I can't block it out!
*No one walks. unless it's a workout.
*Commercials.
*Customer Service. Servers come to your table multiple times just to see if you're ok! Cashiers make small talk! Managers say hello and thank you for shopping! So strange.
*Flip-flops. Everyone is wearing flip-flops.
*Driving. I can't get used to driving past the stop signs here before I come to a stop. and I really miss the yellow-before-green light.
*Radio stations. I missed American radio -- until I heard the same songs over and over again in only three days. I turned it off.
*Cell phones. Service here is expensive and pretty mediocre.
*Restaurants. They're everywhere. and the menus are overwhelming.

I hope I don't sound critical. I've really loved being back (even while I miss Budapest). but it's so strange to feel this flustered by my own culture! It's weird.

Spent some time with Kathy in Raleigh -- leaving for my four state tour this week! :)

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

1 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a safe trip, we will see you at the lake.
Love ya
Auntie Sue

 

Post a Comment

<< Home