Saturday, May 09, 2009

Szaz.... Szaz..... Ket Szaz....

I feel like that's what I said all morning long at the rummage sale. It's roughly the equivalent of 50 cents, 50 cents, and 1 dollar.

But those added up quickly -- Lisa and I together sold around $500 worth of things we don't want to pack up to take back home! Woohoo!

It also meant I had yet another opportunity to practice my not-so-stellar Hungarian. I can't tell you how many times I had to explain what Lisa's quesadilla maker was... It went like this in English: mexican food. like a sandwich press. tortilla, and cheese, and meat, and veegetables. yeah -- my grasp of the language is astounding.

I enjoyed my conversation with the cleaning ladies much more. They got first dibs while we were pricing our goods last night, and they started to ask me about leaving -- all in Hungarian, naturally. This translation doesn't quite do it justice, but I nearly cried over this conversation:
Erzsi: You leave to go to the States?
me: yes.
Erzsi: and there is pain in your heart?
me: yes, I am very sad.
Erzsi: Perhaps you will return.
me: Perhaps.

sigh. I hate leaving.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

2 Comments:

At 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erzsi may not understand English, but she certainly understands the heart!

Mom

 
At 5:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is no doubt that everyone that knows you will be sad you are leaving...On the other hand everyone here will be happy that you are comming back!! Including
Auntie Sue

 

Post a Comment

<< Home