Sunday, December 23, 2007

Sunday.

So I spent today with the Kovacs family, our landlords and their children/translators. They are such good people. Today they invited me to their church, Budafok Baptist. Since I was raised in a Baptist church, I was not shocked to find that when I picked up the hymnal, it automatically opened to Amint vagyok, Just As I Am. Some things transcend language :)
This came in handy later on in the service when my translator (who, incidentally, turned out to be Istvan, my miraculous student teacher from last year!) missed the hymn number for a song -- which was, of course, Just As I Am. He apologized, but I triumphantly turned to the right page and started singing. He was impressed. I love when I can pretend I speak the language better than I do!
I enjoyed the service. Aside from a few minor changes and the obvious language difference, it was pretty much like home.
After church, they invited me to their house for lunch, and she went all out. Fortunately, Balazs warned me to take small portions, and I was incredibly grateful later on when the food kept coming. We had appetizers, homemade bread, soup, two main courses with sides, dessert, coffee, and homemade wine from the grapes in their backyard. I feel like I can barely move :) But it was all delicious.
And Dora, their daughter, just found out her baby will be a girl, so we all gathered to watch a DVD of the ultrasound and heartbeat and to ooh and aah over baby clothes -- just before everyone dispersed to take part in the Universal Post-Church Sunday Nap.
It's hard to be away from my family, especially at Christmas. But I love how whenever I need a family fix, I somehow find one that welcomes me in.

It snowed again, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Tuesday!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

5 Comments:

At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are having SNOW! All we want is a little rain, well we cannot have everything!! We really enjoy your blog & your new talents. Miss you MERRY CHRISTMAS & MUCH MUCH LOVE. Auntie Sue & Uncle Kent

 
At 4:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey hardy! so hows it going?? well...i was looking for a pic of diosd on google...and your blog came up!
so...i miss being there this year...but i am having fun at college...am i still your fav. student of all time?
miss ya!
joel

 
At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They must be wonderful people! Glad they're there for you!
:) Mom

 
At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, Paula!
Allyson

 
At 10:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Paula. We love you
Billy and Vickie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home