Sunday, September 02, 2007

Hungarian Labor Day

I don't know exactly what we're celebrating, but apparently this weekend was important, because all the towns around us had some sort of festival. Last year we just called it Diosd Days, so I dub this one Budafoki Buli (the party in Budafok). :) Lisa B, Heather, and I decided to check it out here and become true Budafoki girls! We met up with Justin and Michelle, other teachers who live here, and got to know our new place. I think all of us decided we love Budafok! Live music (including country! ha!), arts and crafts, and lots of food. My favorite thing was the traditional treat, kurtos kalacs, roasted the traditional way over hot coals and rolled in cinnamon sugar. yum. And when I ordered my gyros for dinner, the entire transaction took place in Hungarian without any problems -- although I feel compelled to add that earlier in the night I somehow ended up with three drinks instead of one. I still have no idea how that happened. crazy language!
We also met with our landlords yesterday, whom we love. They are such kind people. We learned that when they bought this house, it was in utter disrepair except for those beautiful floors. The father, Gabor, has been working on it for six years, doing all the work himself. They told us they chose us to be in the house, because they thought we would help take care of it. The mother, Erzsebet, said twice that we had made it a home and she liked that we used the kitchen! Later, the three of us were talking about what a blessing this house is. They've been working for so long to get it ready, and they put the rental notice up just as we were getting desperate. It's by far the nicest house any of us have ever lived in, and we are getting an amazing deal on the rent. And we're getting to know some great people at the same time!

Life is good.

oh, and unless things have changed since my last update, my grandfather is doing much better and may come home later today! Thanks for your prayers. They are greatly appreciated.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home